What to Look for in a Video Converter Program
Video converters do more than change the file format. They can help you improve, optimize, edit and compress videos to suit your needs. Here are some tools you can find in video converters.
- Output formats: The best converters have a wide range of file types to export your videos. From standard formats such as MP4, MOV and AVI to less commonly used formats such as MXF, OGV and 3GP, the more formats a program can convert, the more versatile they will be.
- Editing tools: Sometimes you just want to change the format of the video. All programs in this article include at least some editing features, such as cropping, cropping, and adding effects. Built-in editors also allow you to change the speed of the video, add watermarks and subtitles, and adjust the image values of the video, such as brightness, color, and saturation.
- Optimization profiles: Simply converting a video format is often only half of what you need. Each device, sharing platform and media player has unique video settings for optimal playback. The best video format converters include a library of optimization profiles to perfectly adapt your videos to the device or platform you will be using.
- Download the video online: The videos you want to convert will not always be on your computer’s hard drive. An online video uploader is a great tool for these situations, as it allows you to capture any video from YouTube, Instagram, TikTok and more. Make sure you do not violate copyright law when downloading or distributing someone else’s content.
- Screen recorder: If you’ve ever wanted to capture what’s happening on your screen in real time, choose a video converter that combines the recording tools that keep track of what’s happening on your screen. This is a useful feature for video game broadcasts, online meetings and even live events like yourself with the help of a webcam and microphone.
- Compressor: Video files can grow rapidly. And if you convert too much, the memory on your hard drive will fill up quickly. The integrated compressor helps to reduce these files to a manageable size to save space or meet the maximum file size limit of sharing sites such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Disc printer: Physical media is not dead; even DVDs have a place in our technological lives. So, if you want to watch your videos on your physical media player, give a copy to a friend, or have a backup, it’s a good idea to choose a program that has a disc recorder.
- Free trial: No matter how good the program looks on paper, it is better to try it before you pay. There are free trial versions that you can download to see if all of the programs listed below fit your needs.
- Free version: If you don’t want to use your video converter too often or just for its most basic functions, paying someone for it may not be the best option. Several programs on this list have sister programs with cut-out tool kits that you can use for free.
Best overall: Wondershare UniConverter
- ✓ All the converter tools you need
- ✓ Complex optimization profile library
- ✓ Powerful editing tools
- ✗ There is no free version
- ✗ Multi-module editing tools
Of all the programs covered in this article, Wondershare UniConverter has the most video conversion tools. From the converter and compressor to the screen recorder and video editor, every feature is top notch. You would have a hard time finding a video converter that works more or better than UniConverter.
The star of the show is, of course, the file converter. UniConverter can convert your videos to 26 different formats and your audio files to 13 file types. In addition, the program has hundreds of device optimization profiles for manufacturers from Apple and Samsung to Google and Sony. Device lists are updated with the latest smartphones, tablets, SmartTVs and game consoles. The program also offers profiles for video editing programs such as iMovie and Final Cut, as well as the ability to customize your conversions for uploading to sites such as YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo and Instagram.
Uniconveter’s built-in video editor allows you to make simple changes to your videos, such as cropping, cropping and adding effects. The editor also has tools for adding watermarks and subtitles, as well as adjusting the volume and improving the recording quality. The program includes video stabilizer, subtitle editor, background cleaner, etc. offers additional additional tools such as. The only problem with the editor is that it allocates each editing tool to its own module, and changing windows for complex editing can be annoying.
Only the converter and editor UniConverter deserves to be considered. But the rest of the feature set offers even more powerful strokes: The compressor helps you manage the file size of your videos, the merging tool allows you to easily combine two or more videos, and the screen recorder allows you to capture actions. your computer and DVD burner allow you to create physical copies of your video library.
Unfortunately, Wondershare does not offer a free version of UniConverter. It would be nice to see a reduced offer for people who don’t need every tool in the app.
Best value: Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate
- ✓ Simple interface
- ✓ Extensive conversion tools
- ✓ Cheap
- ✗ Optimization profiles are outdated
- ✗ No Windows 11 support
Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate is a fantastic program for those who appreciate simplicity. It has comprehensive format compatibility, video compressor, optimization profiles library, video uploader, DVD burner and so on. has most of the tools we are looking for in this category. And all of them are designed in such a way that even the user with the least technological knowledge can manage them with a few problems. And it comes at a much cheaper price than UniConverter.
In addition, this program has features that you will not find in the competition. The toolbox module consists of an image converter, GIF generator, CD burner, DVD copier and video recorder to play converted videos on SmartTV. All of these tools make Aimersoft Video Converter one of the most versatile media production programs you can get.
Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate’s comprehensive set of features makes UniConverter worth the money. If it weren’t for a noticeable flaw, it would have ranked first in this article. Its device optimization profiles have not been updated for about five years. For example, the latest iPhone profile is for the iPhone X, and we’re about to see the iPhone 14 come out soon. In addition, the program is not compatible with Windows 11 and puts millions of potential users in the cold.
Like UniConverter, this program has no free analogue. However, if you don’t need everything the program has to offer, you can consider Video Converter Ultimate’s sister program: Aimersoft Video Converter. It has the same simple structure as Video Converter Ultimate, but only has converter and loader modules, and it costs about $ 20 less, which provides a deeper discount against UniConverter.
Best editing tools: Movavi Video Converter Premium
- ✓ Easy to use
- ✓ Includes basic conversion tools
- ✓ Superior video editing module
- ✗ There is no screen recorder or video uploader
- ✗ Historical device optimization profiles
While not everything Wondershare and Aimersoft’s video converters do, Movavi Video Converter Premium has enough features to satisfy most users. It has an extensive list of suitable export formats, a healthy selection of device optimization profiles, a file compressor and a simple (if mixed) user interface. This is a natural choice for those who do not need or want large sets of tools in the above programs.
But before you open your wallet, note what is not in this program. Movavi Video Converter Premium does not have a screen recorder, online video downloader, or disc recorder, except for all the additional calls and whistles mentioned in Wondershare and Aimersoft’s offers. In addition, although it is not as bad as Aimersoft, it suffers from outdated device optimizer options. The latest iPhone profile is for the iPhone 11, which isn’t that interesting to compare, but it’s still time to update.
It is its video editor that outperforms the competition. And this is not because he has more or better tools than others; they are in fact roughly the same. This is because it places all the editing tools in one module. Other video converters separate tools such as cropping, cropping, and adding effects to various windows. This separation forces you to constantly change the editing modules if your video requires multiple changes. In Movavi, each tool is lined up on the top ribbon, making it easy to switch between them when editing your video.
A free version of this video converter is available. Unfortunately, it is useless not because you do not have the necessary conversion tools. The problem is that it exports your videos with a large watermark, which is an advertisement for the paid version, and there is no way to get rid of it.
Best free version: Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate
- ✓ Includes basic conversion tools
- ✓ Entertaining slide show and collage creators
- ✓ Spectacular free offer
- ✗ Less advanced tools
- ✗ It is expensive for what you buy
Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate contains many features that are in the best video converter software. A wide range of export formats, modern optimization profile selection, video editing tools, file compressor, etc. are available and work properly. But it also has two unique features: MV (video slide show) and video collage creator. These tools turn your favorite clips into themed videos that you can enjoy on your own, show to others in person, or share online. There are dozens of themes to choose from, and it’s a lot of fun when you access your video library for videos you never thought you’d use well.
However, the program does not have a number of tools that make the other products in this article more versatile. For example, Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate does not have a screen recorder, video loader, or disc recorder to tell you the wide selection of additional tools found in UniConverter and Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate. If these are the tools you are looking for, Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate is not for you. Since it falls in the price range like UniConverter, if the creators of the slide show and collage are not interested in you, getting it may serve you better.
However, the free version of this program stands out among other brands. Unlike Movavi’s free offer, this converter doesn’t put a watermark on your converted videos. A short bumper indicating that each video is made with Aiseesoft Free Video Converter at the beginning and end. Another free application for Mac users, Aiseesoft Video Converter is available in the Mac App Store. And it doesn’t put any branding in your videos.